Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gluten Free?

So, I live with someone who needs to eat gluten free...
I tried to make some bread, it was ok - came out like cornbread and had a bit of an odd flavor.

I was craving biscuits to go with some "Magic Soup" (pea soup in kid speak), but wanted to make some everyone could eat. The search began for a recipe that could live up to my "normal" biscuits (aka, the angel biscuits from the Betty Crocker cookbook).

Biscuit WIN. Seriously. I did a quick google search and found a couple potentials... but this one I'm posting here from DOMESTIFLUFF hits the nail on the head.

Its the first recipe I tried and its simply because it seemed to be extremely similar to my regular biscuit recipe.

I did change up a couple things... 
1. Instead of buttermilk I used regular milk and a splash of cider vinegar 
2. Added 2 Tbls of sugar to make them taste EXACTLY like my old biscuit recipe
3. If you don't have a pastry cutter to incorporate the butter, freeze the butter then shred it using a cheese grater.
4. I made drop biscuits since the dough is very loose - they came out beautiful looking!

If I didn't make these, I would not have known they were gluten free!



Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits
inspired by Alton Brown’s Southern Biscuits (my pre-gluten free favorite)
makes 10-12 biscuits Ingredients
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 Tbsp. butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
1 cup buttermilk
2 egg whites
cooking spray
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or by lining them with foil and a light coating of cooking spray.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, add cornstarch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine with a fork until ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the mix. Add the chilled butter cubes and work the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture has a sandy, crumbly texture.

3. In a small measuring cup, measure the buttermilk and add the egg whites. Pour the wet ingredients into the mixture of dry ingredients and butter and work with a fork until just combined. This is a wet, slightly sticky dough, and you can easily make these into drop biscuits if you’d like at this point, but I personally prefer to use cutters to make the biscuits. If you’re using the “cutter” method, then spray your hands with cooking spray and turn the dough onto a floured or non-stick surface (I just use another sheet of parchment paper), forming it into a 3/4 inch thick disc. Spray your dough cutter (I use a 2 1/4 inch round) with cooking spray and cut as many biscuits as you can from the dough, reforming and cutting until the dough is gone.

4. Move the biscuits to the baking sheets and place in the oven. Immediately lower the temperature to 400 degrees F and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. Serve warm. The biscuits also store well in the freezer.
Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment